Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Dinner: Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers


Sunday dinner was really good this week - pulled pork sandwiches and homemade french fries - but tonight's dinner was even better! As I was flipping through the latest issue of Real Simple, doing my weekly meal planning, I came across a recipe for Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice. With as nice as the weather has been here in DC lately, I was excited to find a recipe that I could make out on the grill.

While I was at Trader Joe's doing my weekly shopping, I decided to add just a bit more to the recipe. The original recipe called for chicken, onions and oranges, and the zucchini was served with the rice. I decided to add the zucchini to the skewers, along with crimini mushrooms. I also picked up TJ's new Rice and Orzo pilaf to serve on the side.

I'm glad I added the veggies to the skewers because this meal was amazing. The variety of vegetables and the sweet orange sections were the perfect compliment to the spices in this recipe. And the combination of chicken, veggies and rice were so satisfying and filling. Jesse and I both agreed that it's a new favorite meal, so I'm sure I'll cook it several more times this summer.

We just finished dinner about 30 minutes ago (we eat late) and I'm already on here
sharing this recipe with you; that's how good it is!

Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers

Serves: 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs,
cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
1 small red onion, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
6-8 crimini mushrooms, cut in half
1 navel orange, cut into 16 pieces
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
kosher salt and black pepper




Soak 8 small wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes (or use metal skewers). While the skewers are soaking, cut the chicken and vegetables, according to size.


Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the chicken, onion, mushroom, zucchini and orange with the oil, cumin, cayenne, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper; thread onto the skewers.


Heat the grill to medium high (450 degrees), lightly oil the grate, and grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the onion is just tender, 18 to 25 minutes.


Serve with rice pilaf.


Now go to the store, buy these ingredients, and enjoy a tasty night of grilling!


Today I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesday over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.


1 comment:

  1. Are you trying to kill me with those mushrooms?!?! pineapple would be pretty tasty as a substitute for the orange, but what do i know?

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! It's a great way to interact with all of you (and to confirm that I have readers). I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to hearing from you soon!