Monday, July 26, 2010

My Green (and by green I mean black) Thumb

I’m back from my week long hiatus. Sorry for the lack of communication, but I took an unexpected trip to Orlando early last week and then Jesse and I spent the weekend celebrating our first wedding anniversary!

Now, back to the blog ...


I've wanted to plant my own herb garden since we bought our house, but somehow I've killed every plant I've owned to date. I got a beautiful orchid as a gift a few years back. Dead. When Jesse and I bought our house his mom helped me pick out a little plant for our porch. Dead. A few months ago, I bought a new plant for the planter on our porch. Dying. Can you say black thumb?

I'm not sure why I think I should keep trying, but for some reason I'm determined to grow something, preferably herbs. I thought about buying a window box and filling it with my favorites like basil, thyme, oregano and rosemary, but I would feel like a big failure if I killed them all at once!

As a way to sort of test the waters, I've been eyeing the little basil plants that sit in the entryway of my local grocery store, wondering if I could keep one of the little guys alive. Until a few weeks ago, I just passed them and thought that there was no way I could do it. Then, as though it were a sign from the grocery store gods, or just my lucky week, I was shopping at Whole Foods and the basil plants were on sale. They were setup in simple little planters waiting for someone to take them home – and that someone was me! I purchased my little basil plant for a whopping $2.50 and set it up in my kitchen window to soak up the rays.

I really have no idea how long this will last, but I'm going to do my best to keep him alive for at least a few weeks. And, to keep all of you involved in the life of my little guy, I dropped a counter on the right side bar (many thanks to my husband for whipping that up for me!) to show how many days he's survived ... wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. i killed a good number of those little basil potted plants last year haha. in all fairness, i didn't work THAT hard at keeping them alive, haha. but the way i look at it, $2.50 for the plant buys you a) WAY more basil than the little packets of fresh herbs and b) the chance to try and keep it alive! win win! :)

    good luck, sus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm already killing mine .... that didn't last long. :(

    I do agree though, it's much cheaper than buying fresh basil all the time! I should make some of that strawberry-basil lemonade you showed me. Now I just have to remember which social networking site you used to share it with me - facebook, blogspot, gmail - oh the possibilities ...

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! It's a great way to interact with all of you (and to confirm that I have readers). I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to hearing from you soon!