Monday, August 1, 2011

Vacation Pictures and Upcoming Recipes

As promised this morning, I'm back with pictures from the last two weeks. I've been trying to figure out a better way to share pictures on my blog, so I'm trying out a new photo collage program tonight. Let me know what you think of these photo spreads as opposed to scrolling through the post one picture at a time. I think I like it, but I'm still trying to decide.

Either way, putting together all of the pictures from my vacations really makes me miss Myrtle Beach and the lake. Summer isn't quite over yet - I still have one more beach weekend in Virginia Beach, a tubing trip, and my BFF, Kelly, is coming to visit - but August always flies by. It's nice to capture all of these wonderful summer memories in one place.


I spent most of this trip on the beach and the boardwalk with my sister Lisa, her husband Justin, and their kids. Elizabeth is the oldest and she's holding the boogie board in the center picture. Alexis is the next in line and she is in the picture with me in the top right. As for Evan, he's just now 15 months and he's going to be a little heartbreaker - such a sweet boy!


Lake George was a very different pace from the beach, but oh so relaxing! We spent the week in a cabin with Jesse's parents, enjoying the breathtaking lake views and walking around the nearby shops. Jesse and I enjoyed our second wedding anniversary while we were there and spent most of the week celebrating. We went out for a couple of nice meals, one of which was at Friend's Lake Inn where his uncle is the sommelier. On Friday, we took a day trip to Vermont, where we spent the day with one of his mom's college friends. She was such a great hostess and made the best. chocolate. cake. ever. I'm planning to make it later this month, so I'll share the recipe soon!


I have a few other recipes that I want to share before the chocolate cake recipe -- homemade potato salad, squash and goat cheese orzo, tomato-basil-mozzarella salad and eggplant ricotta linguine -- so keep an eye out for them in the coming weeks. 


Just thinking about a few of these dishes makes me sad that we only have another month or so to enjoy such fresh produce and wonderful summer salads. I know, I know ... most of the US is experiencing horrific heat, including DC, but I still can't help but love summer! How about you, what is your favorite season? Are you a seasonal cook like me? I tend to enjoy different foods more (or less) depending on the weather and time of year.

3 comments:

  1. I love the picture collage! My summer ends tomorrow, but I wish I coul rewind and start July over again. I could use a little more beach time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the collage too! Summer goes too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone else, the collages are a great idea. Not sure if you can embed videos into your post, but maybe do a video slide show? Just an idea. The dishes you mentioned sound delicious and the accompanying pictures look wonderful as well. Definitely love a tomato/basil/mozz salad. Ever try making fresh mozz? It's very easy and worth the time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment! It's a great way to interact with all of you (and to confirm that I have readers). I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to hearing from you soon!