Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sunday Dinner: Grilled Salmon

This weekend I decided to make a low-key, semi-homemade, Sunday dinner. Drew was out of town, so since it was just Jesse and me, I decided to make it easier for both of us (read: easy prep work and minimal dishes for Jesse).

First, Let me give you a little back-story on how this meal came to be ...

It turns out I'm kind of in love with Trader Joe's. While I've noticed that they don't carry some of the staples, or if they carry them, they run out quite frequently (i.e. white vinegar), I still love all the variety and prepared dishes they offer. They also have a great frozen section full of poultry, fish, side dishes and desserts!

One of my frequent purchases at TJ's is the Wild Alaskan Salmon. While it comes frozen, the flavor of the salmon is spot-on and it's always great quality. So for Sunday dinner this week, I bought 1 lb. of the salmon, along with an asparagus risotto from the frozen section, which turned out to be creamy and smooth, with a little bite from the asparagus. I usually make a honey-mustard glaze for the salmon, but this week I decided to try something new. After perusing my usual food blogs and recipe sites, I came across one on the Food Network that looked simple and tasty (plus, I had all the ingredients in my pantry!). So while I can't claim this as my own, I'll share it with you anyway because it turned out to be just what I was looking for.

Oh, one more thing, I'm SO disappointed because I forgot to take pictures of the finished product - guess I got a little excited about eating it! Looks like you'll have to use your imagination, and the wonderful photo provided by the Food Network. Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I made a few small modifications, such as brushing the salmon with olive oil and adding more marinade while it was grilling, but nothing major.

Asian Grilled Salmon
Recipe courtesy of the Food Network
Serves: 3 - 4
Source: Food Network
Total Time: 25 minutes


1 lb. Wild Alaskan Salmon
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp. for drizzling
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (1 small clove)


Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side up on a cutting board and brush with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Flip the salmon, so the skin is on the cutting board, and cut it crosswise into 2 - 4 equal pieces.

Whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

When the grill is hot, place the salmon skin side down on to the grates. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula, brush with half of the remaining marinade, and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes. It's alright if the salmon is slightly raw in the center, it will keep cooking as it sits.

Transfer the fish to a flat serving platter, skin side down, and spoon the remaining marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest under an aluminum tent for 10 minutes.

I used the resting time to prepare my side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love for you to leave me a comment! It's a great way to interact with all of you (and to confirm that I have readers). I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to hearing from you soon!